[Yearbook] Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA), Janshree Bima and Aam Admi Bima: problem, solutionDevendra Vishwakarma
- What is Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA)?
- Why is SSA in News?
- What is JBY and AABY
- What is the problem?
- What is the solution? / Why is it in news?
What is Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA)?
A Government project aimed at Universalization of Elementary Education (UEE)
Under SSA, Union and State Governments provide money for following
- To open new schools in those habitations which do not have schooling facilities
- strengthen existing school infrastructure via additional teachers, class rooms, toilets, drinking water, teaching-learning materials, maintenance grant etc
Why is SSA in News?
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan costs the Centre about Rs 25,000 crore each year and about the same from the states
- And like every other Government scheme, this SSA is also riddled with leakages and fake beneficiaries.
- But Maharashtra State government saved Rs.2000 crores by using Aadhar-cards to cut down on bogus student enrollments.
- Inspired with this success, now the Union Government is planning to get all SSA-students be provided Aadhar-cards.
- It will help weed out fake students from the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA).
- This Revamped SSA programme could be rolled out in the next academic year
What is JBY and AABY
|Janashree Bima Yojana (JBY)||Aam Aadmi Bima Yojana (AABY)|
|Was launched in||2000||2007|
|Why?||For rural and urban poor persons aged between 18 and 59 years.||cover against natural, accidental and disability of the head of the family of rural landless households in the country.|
What is the problem?
- There is significant overlapping of beneficiaries, because they cater to same or similar categories of population.
- This leads to increased Management cost (need to maintain two databases, more staff etc)
What is the solution? / Why is it in news?
- Government is planning to merge these two schemes, for above cited reasons. (=fiscal consolidation + better social security).