Topper’s Study: Daily wordlist from newspapersDEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
My dear friends,
In the present competitive scenario English plays a very important role in our day to day life. Thus it is essential to have a sound knowledge and understanding of English vocabulary. So here we are presenting you a list of 10 difficult words from today’s newspapers. This will help you to sail and score good marks in English Language section. We will provide Daily Word List on a regular basis.
Here is today’s list of words
1. Meander – verb – Follow a winding course.
Synonyms – Zigzag, wind
Antonyms – go direct
E.g. A river that meandered gently through a meadow.
2. Deprave – adjective – make (someone) immoral or wicked.
Synonyms – Corrupt, lead astray
Antonyms – improve, clean
E.g. this book would deprave and corrupt young children.
3. Errant – adjective – Straying away from the accepted standards
Synonyms – rambling, aberrant
Antonyms – correct, decent
E.g. – I saw an errant man shouting at his daughter for skipping office.
4. Proactive – adjective – To intervene in an expected occurrence or situation
Synonyms – active, balanced
Antonyms – passive, retroactive
E.g. – The government has pledged to take proactive measures against crime
5. Pernicious – adjective – having a harmful effect
Synonyms – Bad, Hurtful
Antonyms – healthful
E.g Smoking is pernicious to health.
6. Foment – verb – Instigate
Synonyms – Lotions
Antonyms – allay, soothe
E.g. The Defamation Bill fomented journalists to take to the streets.
7. Chivalrous – adjective – courteous
Synonyms : Bold, Brave, Gallant
Antonyms : afraid, fearful
E.g.- Teachers may be more chivalrous towards girls
8. Sermonise – verb – to deliver an opinionated and dogmatic talk to someone
Synonyms –declaim, moralize
E.g. – They confidently sermonize on the fixed nature of identity.
9. Brazen – adjective – Unrestrained by a sense of shame
Synonyms – bold, insolent
Antonyms – gentle, shy
E.g.- Sudden brazen of clash broke their friendship.
10. Regressive – adjective – returning to a former or less developed state
Synonyms – backward, reactionary
Antonyms – progressive
E.g. – The regressive aspects of recent local government reform will let the country down.