[Topper’s Interview] Dr.Arpit Jain (UPSC-2013/Rank-194): Anthropology Optional, Madhya PradeshDevendra Vishwakarma
- Topper Profile
- Electronic Vs Paper material
- Tempo and style
- Struggle of a Senior player
- Working professional
- Prelims (CSAT) General studies
- Prelims (CSAT) Aptitude
- Prelim accuracy
- Mains: Compulsory language paper
- Mains: Essay
- General Studies (Mains) paper 1
- General studies (Mains) paper 2
- General studies (Mains) Paper 3
- General Studies 4: Ethics, Integrity, aptitude
- Mains answer-writing?
- Anthropology Optional Subject
- Before the interview
- During the interview
- CSE-2013 Marksheet
- Career Backup
- Views on UPSC reforms
- Insecurity about profile
- Credit: Friends/family
- BOGUS Marketing Propaganda
|Rank in CSE-2013||194|
|Total attempts in CSE||2|
|Medium chosen for Mains answers||English|
|Home town/city||Maksi (District – Shajapur)/Bhopal/Varanasi|
|Work-experience if any||30 Months|
|Details of other competitive exams, including success/failures||PMT entrances 2004..cleared most exams with good ranks… air-11 in BHU-PMT|
|Details of coaching, mock tests, postal material for any competitive exam (if used)||
|service preference||IAS,IFS,IPS (however I considered all 3 as my dream job )|
|state cadre preference||
|fill the details here|
|% in class 10||72.6|
|% in class 12||70.3|
|Graduation course and %||MBBS , 55.1 %|
|Name of college, city, passing out year||Institute of Medical Sciences , Banaras Hindu University (IMS-BHU),Varanasi ..passed in 2010|
|Post-graduation||Joined M.S. in 2010 but leaved it in august 2011|
|Any other professional courses||Doing M.A. (Gandhi and Peace studies )..plan to do Phd in Conflict Resolution from some ivy league|
|Hobbies & Extra curricular||
Q. Tell us something about yourself, your family, when and why did you enter in this field of competitive exams?
- I am a Doctor by profession did MBBS from Prestigious IMS-BHU , Varanasi. Besides, I had been RTI activist .Also, I love to write English short stories and I m in touch with a leading International publisher to get published my Short story collection by 2017-18…
- I belong to a small town named Maksi , Distt. Shajapur of Madhya Pradesh were I studied up to 8th then moved to Bhopal because we have no good school after 10th in our town (…moving from small town to city at age of 14 was very painful for me ,some thing similar to as depicted in character of Rajkumar Rao in movie City Lights).
- My father is a very dedicated Doctor,who is 24*7 available to patients and never says ‘no’ to any patient. In fact, many a times to poor and needy patients he gives money to buy food,medicines etc.
- My mother is a House Maker who always encouraged me to dream big,do something creative and innovative in life . My younger sister is working in field of advertising .
- In field of competitive exam I entered way back in 2004 when I cleared some good medical entrances with flying colors .
- To become IAS/IPS officer was a dream from child hood , watching movies like Sarfarosh,Gangajal, Swadesh etc. kept my desire burning . During my MBBS days I used to think of appearing in UPSC , however I was never serious . In 2010-11 after working in hospital for more then a year and seeing how a person’s socio-economic deprivation ( Poverty, unemployment, illiteracy etc. ) impacts basic right to happy life , My thirst to work on a wider platform increased. Finally ,I took a firm decision, leaved my residency and started preparing from December 2011.
Electronic Vs Paper material
Q. In recent times, there is spur in electronic material- blogs, sites, pdfs, RSS-feeds. Many aspirants feel bogged down by this information overload. So, how much do you rely on electronic material and how much on the paper material (Books, newspapers)? If possible narrate a typical day in your study life. What is your style of preparation (e.g. I continue making notes no matter what I’m reading, I just read multiple times but don’t maintain notes, I make mind maps on computer …or xyz style)
- I believe in judicious balance of both electronic Material and paper material.
- Due to infinite expanse the electronic material material should be within framework of UPSC syllabus and should also be authentic. for example : MRUNAL.org , PIB ,Rajyasabha Tv debates etc.
- However, I more relied on reading Paper material because it was easy to read and organize .I always read standard books and authentic material .The crap h coaching notes I don’t prefer and they often used to be last resort when I was not able to find any standard book
Day in study life :-
- I have a very scientific method of studies,
- I made a monthly ,weekly and daily plan
- Every morning I start with making daily schedule,priortising things then trying to stick to it.
- if one makes time bound plan then one can prevent wasting time in unwanted things. (I would suggest you to Read Stephan covey’s …7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE …which will definitely help in proper planning of studies along with optimal implementation )
Style of preparation