[Topicwise Analysis] General Studies (GS) 2011 CSAT Prelims paperDEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
- Broad analysis
- Climate change-biodiversity
- Science and technology
- Social economical development, rights issue, empowerment etc
- Current international affairs
- Public policy or yearbook stuff
- Person in news, sports and awards
CSAT 2011 exam was taken on 12 June 2011. There were 100 questions worth 2 marks each. Majority of them were “4 statements true and false” (4tf) questions, i.e. 4 statements are given for each question and then you’re required to identify the correct and incorrect ones. So mere acquaintance with some topic doesn’t help, you need to have idea about ‘what, why and how’ of a topic.
- Indus valley (secular/textile)
- Jain philosophy- world is created by
- Vedic civilization-meaning of dharma and rita
- Reasons for cultural contacts between southeast asia and bay of bengal
Modern post 1857
- Nehru report recommendations
- Usha mehta-role indian freedom struggle
- Home charges in drain of wealth.
- Kheda satyagraha, why
- Land settlement system of lord cornwallis
- Quit india movment- false statement
- Weddernburn and caine committee 1893
- Gandhi-book unto this last
Again no point in mugging up those 150 places of harappa where painted gray pottery was found or the 1500 kings, 1500 timelines and 1500 places (stupa here and there, castle-mosque-tomb and temple in every city) from medieval portion.
Dates, places and kings have lost relevence for CSAT.
- metropolitan planning committee
- 73rd amendment provides for-statements
- vote on account and interim budget-difference between them
- union budget is not pass it by the lok sabha when
- the functions of finance commission of india.
- consolidated fund of india-withdrawing money
- revenue of union government goes into each account
- fundamental duty-which of the following is not
See majority of questions from budget /money related matters of constitution. And not a single question asking to match the article numbers or timelines. Economy is gaining importance and lime-light like never before and in future prelims, its going to the surpass the current Katrina kaif (geography). It is also time to put D.D.Basu on rest from now onwards for prelims.
- Lower Gangetic climate good for which crops
- Name of state producing lot cash crops, central part producing cotton.
- Salinization in irrigation
- State with good climate for orchid cultivation
- La nina is different from a el nino
- Westerlies in southern hemisphere are stronger. Why
- Jetcraft flies easily in lower stratosphere why?
- Brahmaputra makes u turn because
- African and eurasian desert belt, why formed?
- Malacca strait-reducing travel time to east asia.
Only 11 questions (because lot has gone in to climate change topic). Agro profiles of states have became important. No mapping-questions. No specific place (city, district) based question. Only one, biodiversity area at Odisha.
- Animal living in sandy and saline area in india
- Algal blooms in seawater
- Carbon cycle, which adds co2
- Biodiversity forms the basis for human existence by
- Coal combustion at thermal plants, pollutants emitted
- Ozone hole in antarctica why
- Microbial fuel cells-statements
- Bioasphalt important because
- Mangroves in tsunami
- Red data book for endangered species
- Carbon credits-false statement.
- Why western ghats and indo-burma regions are hot spots of biodiversity
- Why carbon dioxide does not remain in lower atmosphere
- Marine upwelling zones are important for ecosystem productivity because
- Why tropical rainforest does not regenerate quickly
- Himalayan range is rich in species diversity because
- Central acts, having relevance with biodiversity conservation
- Two rivers of jharkhant and odisha merging and forming biodiversity area at
- Site for in-situ method of conservation of flora
- Biodiversity between lower and higher latitudes
Almost 1/5th of the paper is from climate change.
Let me quote a passage from civil service times’ december issue dedicated to biodiversity