[Studyplan] CSIR CASE Combined Administrative Service Exam: Booklist, Strategy, Studymaterial Download PDFsDevendra Vishwakarma
To those readers with Public Administration/ Management as their optional subject in UPSC/RAS/PPSC/KAS etc. here is a good opportunity: CSIR Administrative Officer Gr-I
- Scheme of exam
- CSIR CASE Paper I
- Reasoning (20 Qs)
- Maths (20 Qs)
- Constitution of India (20 Qs)
- General Awareness
- Paper II: CCS+HR+Management+PubAD
- Topic #1: Central Civil Service (CCS)
- Topic #2: HRM (40qs)
- Topic#3: Management
- Topic #4: PubAd
- Unwanted Tips
- Appendix: Free CSIR/CASE Study Material (Download Links)
- General Awareness: NCERTs/NIOS
- Download Material: CCS, HRM, PubAD
- Previous papers and Cut offs
Scheme of exam
- Any graduate can apply Click me for Age limit-Syllabus
- Last date of application: 15 January 2013: Click ME to apply
- Negative marking=Yes (Minus 0.25 marks per wrong question)
- Descriptive paper or Essay =No.
Notification says, CSIR *may* fix separate minimum cut-off marks for each paper. Anyways let’s check the topicwise booklist, strategy
CSIR CASE Paper I
Reasoning (20 Qs)
Maths (20 Qs)
You may also consult NCERT Class 7 to 10 Mathematics textbooks for clearing basic concepts. They can be downloaded for free, using http://www.ncert.nic.in/
Constitution of India (20 Qs)
|English||Indian Polity by M.Laxmikanth|
|Hindi||Bharat Ki Rajyavyavastha by M.Laxmikanth|
Two reasons why you should religiously mugup M.Laxmikanth:
How to efficiently read this book, has been explained here in a separate article: CLICK ME
After you’ve done reading Laxmikanth, solve all the MCQ questions given at the end of that book.
General Awareness (40 Qs)
|General Science||NCERT Science Textbook Class 7 to 10|
|General Polity||Lolz again mentioned. Anyways same Indian Polity by M.Laxmikanth|
|Current Events||Newspaper. (Hindu or Indian Express).Monthly Current Affairs from Competitionmaster.com (Start from Jan 2012)|
- The CSIR notification doesn’t explicitly mention “History”. However just to be safe, also prepare History from NCERT Textbook because indirectly it is General Awareness.
- Download links for NCERT and NIOS material given @bottom of this article.
- Newspaper= The Hindu OR IndianExpress (use any one). Don’t waste time in Dainik Bhaskar, Times of India etc. How to use newspaper for current affairs preparation =explained in separate article click me.
- Newspaper = long term investment (for profile and opinion based questions in interview in all exams be it Bank or MBA.) So don’t think that newspaper reading is meant for IAS exam only.
Paper I: Part B English (50Qs)
|Comprehension||Practice. Download old papers of IBPS, UGC etc.|
|Active, passive direct indirect etc||
|Preposition, fill in the blanks|
|Punctuation, idioms, phrases|
Also follow the discussions on Pagalguy forum’s verbal section: http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/verbal-ability/
Paper II: CCS+Mgmt+HR + PubAD+CCS
This paper has 150 marks, 150 Qs, 150 minutes.
|topic||No. of Qs||Source|
|Central Civil Service (CCS) Rules, Manuals etc.||60||
|Human Resource Management (HR) related||40||
|Management (MBA) related||25||
Now let’s check the topicwise approach
Topic #1: Central Civil Service (CCS)
This topic is related with actual / real-life working of an officer in Central Civil Services.I’ve compiled the topicwise PDF files (links @bottom).
Fundamental Rules (FRs) and Supplementary Rules (SRs)
- These topics are related with “personnel matters” e.g. leave, promotion, disciplinary action etc matter applicable to officers in Central Service.
- You’ve to do selective reading of only those topics/information that can be asked from Multi-Choice Question format. For example: The leave travel concession (LTC) is admissible to the Central Govt. employees while on study leave.
- But No need to mugup minute details, dates, names, numbers.
General Financial Rules
- Given in CCS ZIP file @bottom.
- This deals with budget and Expenditure related matters in ministries and departments.
- From that PDF file, prepare Chapter 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8.
- Again no need to go in minute details. Most of the content given in that PDF file is not ‘exam-worhty’.
- Just prepare stuff that can be asked in MCQ format. for example what items go in Capital account, what items go in Revenue account and so on.
- Also prepare Budget formulation topic from IGNOU Public Administration material (given @bottom).
Manual of Office Procedure (15 Qs)
- Given in CCS ZIP file @bottom.
- This topic deals with how to actually work in a Government office=how to draft letters, what to do with “daks”, record-keeping, filing, inspection etc.
- Same principle: Just get brief overview of Exam-worthy information. No need to do Ph.D For example
Donot take this lightly, because CSIR notification explicitly mentions that 15 questions will come from this topic. This concludes how to approach CCS.
Topic #2: HRM (40qs)
This topic is to be prepared from selective study of IGNOU BA and MA Public Administration booklet codes EPA-01, MPA 013, 014 etc. I’ve compiled the IGNOU PDF files those selective topics. Download link given @bottom (HRM_CSIR.zip file). Only 2 topics missing
- Collaboration, Team Working & Networking;
- Facilities & Infrastructure Management
How to approach HRM for CISR?
- HRM topic might feel daunting and boring. Because they talk about lot of abstract stuff.
- BUT the concepts and principles related to motivation, communication, leadership, recruitment and promotion = very easy to frame MCQs from them.
- So prepare them thoroughly from the given PDF files. (without getting bogged down by the abstract and philosophical stuff).
- When you search HRM on egyankosh.ac.in, it throws up truckload of results. They’ve special courses of PG diploma in HRM etc. But those booklets go in way too much detail.
- On the other hand MA Public Administration (MPA-014) has covered HRM in very condensed form, therefore I’ve compiled the PDFs mostly from MPA-014 (and not the PGDHRM course).
- But if you’ve time (and mood) you may download PGDHRM booklets manually from egyankosh.ac.in
Management/ IT related (25 Qs)
The best way to approach = via selective reading of IGNOU’s MBA booklets. Goto this link: School of Management Studies (http://www.egyankosh.ac.in/handle/123456789/9