[PIN-April] Part 4: Sports- Cricket, Laureus Awards, Saina Rank1 on again off againDevendra Vishwakarma
- Laureus World Sport Awards
- Other Sports News
This article contains sports related Current Affairs developments from April 2015. Exam utility: CAPF, IBPS, SSC, SBI & similar non UPSC exams and dozens of college admission entrance exams.
Laureus World Sport Awards
|World Sportsman of the Year||Novak Djokovic (Serbia)|
|World Sportswoman of the Year||Genzebe Dibaba (Ethiopia)|
|World Breakthrough of the Year||Daniel Ricciardo (Australia)|
|World Comeback of the Year||Schalk Burger (South Africa)|
|World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability||Tatyana McFadden (USA)|
|World Action Sportsperson of the Year||Alan Eustace (USA)|
|Sport for Good Award||Oliver Percovich (Australia)|
|Spirit of Sport Award||Yao Ming (China)|
|Exceptional Achievement Award||Li Na (China)|
|World Sports Academy inductees||
|World Team of the Year||German men’s football team|
- ICC chief N.Srinivasan warns BCCI that its secretary Anurag Thakur seen with bookie Mr. Karan Gilhotra. Thakur denies knowing him.
- Harbhajan Singh Institute of Cricket (HSIC)-Harbhajan Singh has opened his first cricket academy in the Delhi Public School, Rajarhat (West Bengal)
- Ex-Pakistan Test captain Salman Butt was banned for spot fixing. He’ll appear before ICCI’s anti-corruption unit to get his ban reduced.
- Pepsi IPL 2015 begins at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata.
- Ankit Keshri a promising Bengal batsman died because of an injury during a match. He played U-19 and lead U-23 Bengal team in C.K.Naidu Champion’s trophy.
- Supreme Court-constituted three-member committee under chairmanship of Justice R.M. Lodha to see BCCI’s Constitution. Subsequently, on Lodha’s recommendation- CBI officer Vivek Priyadarshi to investigate IPL CEO Sundar Raman in the IPL spot-fixing and betting scam
- Mohammad Nabi removed from captainship of the Afghanistan cricket team for weak performance in worldcup-2015
- In Britain, the club match between Nantwich and Caldy. Liam Livingstone (Nanwich) made history with 350 runs in 138 balls. His team’s total score 579/7 in 45 overs. Caldy all-out in just 79 runs.
|Single men’s||Novak Djokovic (Serbia)||Andy Murray (UK)|
|Single Women’s||Serena Williams (US)||Not important for exams|
|Double Women’s||Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis||Not important for exam.|
Sania and Martina
- Won Indian Wells, Miami hardcourt and Charleston title .
- Sania becomes first Indian woman to claim #1 in doubles ranking
Other Tennis games
- The 2015 French Open began on May 24.
- This season prize money at the Roland Garros will rise. The men’s and women’s champions will receive €1.8 million each,
|Asian Jr.Girls||Y. Pranjala||Wushuang Zheng (China)|
|ITF Men’s future, Karshi , Uzbekistan||Yuki Bhambri||Dzmitry Zhyrmont (Belarus)|
- In Malaysia Open- Men- Chen Long of China defeated Kento Momota of Japan
- Malasiya Open Badminton held at KUALA LUMPUR. Winners: Male- Chen Long(China), Female – Carolina Marin( Spain)
- Badminton World Federation (BWF)-Saina Nehwal’s position changes in World ranking announcement in different week
- China’s greatest athlete Liu Xiang announced his retirement.
- The fastest runner of Asia Yoshihide Kiryu,(japanese- teenager) has been invited to race in the 100 metres against world record holder Usain Bolt at the Diamond League New York Grand Prix in June
- The world’s fastest man, Usain Bolt, has criticised the “stupid” deal under which American sprinter Tyson Gay was given a reduced ban for doping.
- Ethiopia’s Lelisa Desisa won Boston Marathon title
- London Marathon 2015 : Winners Men: 1. Eliud Kipchoge (Kenya) and Women: 1. Tigist Tufa (Ethopia)
- Formar U.S. Olympic champion Bruce Jenner revealed he is transitioning from male to female. Right now working in Reality TV shows.
- In 2013, Thomas Bach is appointed as president of IOC. He is from Germany.
- International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) ensuring more IOC funding for Indian athletes.
- He advised to keep Unity ,autonomy and good governance in the National Sports Federations (NSFs) .
- Government also gives promises for more funding to players participating in 2016 olympics.
- PM Narendra Modi is not favour to organise 2024 Olympics in India despite hype created by Media that Modi will propose to organise 2024 olympics in Ahmedabad.
- Union Sports Ministry has de-recognised the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) and International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has suspended PCI as well for internal mismanagement.
- The Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) suspended its president Rajesh Tomar as ‘poor conduct’ of the 15th National para athletics championship in Ghaziabad during March month.
- A retied HC judge Committee will investigate PCI mismanagement.
Other Sports News
|SAI||Sports Authority of India- Director General- Injeti Srinivas|
|Weightlifting||Wladimir Klitschko (Ukrain) won heavyweight world title beating Bryant Jennings (USA)|
Visit Mrunal.org/PIN for Persons in news, books-authors, awards and sports related current affairs for IBPS, SSC, CDS, CAPF, ACIO and state service exams.