[Modi Diplomacy] Part 1/4: Japan Visit, Tokyo Declaration, US-2 Amphibian aircraft, JENESYS 2.0 Kyoto Varanasi PactDevendra Vishwakarma
- Mindmap: Gist of Modi’s Japan visit
- Strategic: India-Japan
- Economy: India-Japan
- Energy-Environment: India-Japan
- People 2 People: India-Japan
- Side topics
- #1: Indo-Jap Nuclear deal
- #2: Japan doesn’t like MAT. NOT ONE BIT
- #3: US-2 Amphibian aircraft
- Mock questions
Total four part article-series
- Modi Japan visit
- Xi’s India Visit
- Modi US visit
- Comparative table of above three, with Overall analysis/ success / failure.
As such all these summits had lot of photo-ops, symbolic gestures like Modi feeding fishes, visiting temple, drinking tea in Japan, Modi says India not land of snake charmers but Mouse players, Modi asks Indians living in Japan to bring their friends on India tour….. But I’m focusing only on six key areas:
- Strategic (Defense Related)
- Trade, Investment, Economy
- Energy And Environment
- Science, Research, Space, Healthcare
- People 2 People and Misc.
- Side Topics, If Any
Mindmap: Gist of Modi’s Japan visit
Meetings with item songs
- Japan is now India’s strategic partner (= civil + defense ties)
- Japan will intensify 2+2 strategic dialogue with India, involving foreign and defense Secretaries. Japan also has similar with US, Australia, Russia and France.
- Regular meetings between their National Security Advisors.
- Trilateral Defense meeting between India-Japan-USA.
Defense and desi liquor- Trade
- 1998: Japan had banned sale of HAL and other Indian defense companies (due to Pokhran test). After Modi visit, they lifted ban from HAL and 5 other cos.
- Japan will sale US-2 amphibian aircrafts and its secret technology to India.
- This will be Japan’s first overseas military sale in 50 years.
Exercises to get 8 pack abs
- Japan will hold regular exercise with Indian navy and coast guards
- Japan will participate in India-US Malabar naval exercise.
- Both want urgent reforms in UNSC- for increasing no. of permanent and non-permanent members.
- Japan will help India get FULL membership in four international export control regimes
- Nuclear Suppliers Group
- Missile Technology Control Regime
- Wassenaar Arrangement
- Australia Group
- Denounced terrorism in all forms.
- Asked N.Korea to stop nuke proliferation.
- Welcomed UN negotiations for Iran nuke issue,
- Pledged support for Afghanistan rebuilding. (Just like “3 times-camera zooming” is pre-requisite in every saas-bahu serial, “Afghanistan-rebuilding” is pre-requisite in all bilateral meetings involving India.)
- Joint Feasibility Study for bullet train between Ahmedabad – Mumbai.
- Mass rapid transit system between Gurgaon and Bawal (HN)
- Japan will help upgrading the existing semi-high speed railways in India.
- @Gujarat: New Dholera International airport + Alang ship-breaking yard upgrade.
- Will help finishing the ongoing industrial corridor projects. Click me to see economic survey summary on this:
- Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (DFC)
- Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC)
- Chennai-Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC)
- Will setup Industrial cities / townships in Gujarat, Maharashtra, UP and Madhya Pradesh
- Japanese industrial townships will give benefits similar or higher than SEZ and NIMZs in India.
Agro / village related:
- Japan will setup food value chains via PPP
- Japan will give advanced irrigation system and farming machines.
- Japanese “Champions of Societal Manufacturing (CSM) Project”- for mfg sector in India. Within this, Japan will also run “Village Buddha” project to help SHG groups in villages.
- Smart Community projects, the Logistics Data Bank project
- @North East: Road connectivity, Forest resource Management, water supply improvement.
Energy to light bidi
- Speed up nuclear deal negotiations
- Jointly procure LNG
- Tie up in oil-gas exploration.
- Collaboration for environment friendly coal tech such as
- Coal-fired power generation technology
- Clean Coal Technology (CCT).
- Super-critical coal-fired power project in Meja, UP.
- Super critical thermal power plant in Barauni, Bihar.
- @Gujarat: Canal top solar power plants
- @Rajasthan: Mega Solar Power project at Neemrana
- will assist in cleaning Ganga
- @Gujarat: Seawater Desalination project at Dahej.
- Japan will host 3rd UN Disaster Management conference @Sendai (March 2015) to adopt new framework after Hyogo.
- Outer space exploration via Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF)
- ICT initiatives, internet security.
- Joint ocean studies.
- Science Fellowship programs for youth.
- +lot other fancy research things that I don’t bother copying from original Tokyo Declaration statement.
People 2 People: India-Japan
- Kyoto-Varanasi partnership agreement: to develop Varanasi just like Japan’s historical city Kyoto.
- JENESYS 2.0 program: Exchanging ~1300 youth
- Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteer (JOCV): will send nurses to Mizoram.
- Will promote Tourism, youth exchange, skill Development and other fancy things.
And finally, Abe agreed to visit India in 2015 to return the favour of harassing UPSC aspirants.
So far, we checked the points related to the so called “Tokyo declaration” between India and Japan during Modi visit. Now some related sidetopics:
#1: Indo-Jap Nuclear deal
Why does India want nuke deal with Japan?
- We’ve put 10 out of 21 nuke reactors under IAEA supervision. They can be run on imported Uranium.
- Ailing Jap. Nuke industry after Fukushima disaster. Will get boost by signing agreements with India.
- Japanese companies supply critical components to nuclear powerplants of GE and Areva etc.
- If we can get Japanese components and technology, it’ll greatly increase our nuclear-electricity generation.
- Japan has huge stockpile of reprocessed plutonium.
||No we won’t sign such stupid agreements. We want to have freedom of doing nuclear tests.|
|No, we cannot allow that.||We want to reprocess the spent fuel (for testing nuke weapons.)|
|India should accept inspection beyond the current IAEA safeguards. i.e. if we sell you fissile material or James Bond secret technology then allow us to inspect both your defense and civilian nuke programs.||Not acceptable. We can’t allow you / anyone else to inspect our defense nuclear programs.|
In short, India not willing to accept more obligations than what we’ve agreed under 2008’s Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) waiver agreement.