[Geography Lecture1] Longitude, Latitude, Timezones, Earth Interior, Rock types, Continental DriftDevendra Vishwakarma
- G1/P1: longitudes, latitudes, Timezones and Dateline
- G1/P2: Earth’s Interior, S & P waves, Rock-Cycle, Geological Time-eras
- G1/P3: Continental Drift Theory
- G1/P4: Sea Floor Spreading Theory
- These geography lectures are conducted by Ms. Rajtanil at Sardar Patel institute of Public Administration (SPIPA), Ahmedabad.
- First session began on 2st February 2015, and uploaded on youtube. Total ~2:30 hours but I’ve split it into four parts.
- PowerPoint of the lecture, available at Mrunal.org/Download
- Medium of instruction- Hindi.
- English version not possible for the moment, because faculties are required to teach at this batch, in Hindi/Gujarati only. Besides, same content is available in English in the powerpoints.
G1/P1: longitudes, latitudes, Timezones and Dateline
Language: Hindi, Topics Covered:
- Longitudes and Latitudes: definitions and concepts.
- Why is there heat deficit and heat surplus regions on earth?
- Reason for season on earth, Day and night time variation, from season to season
- What are Solstice and equinox? UPSC-CSAT-2013 question on day-night time variation
- Daylight saving in temperate regions
- Longitude – prime meridian, International dateline (IDL)
- How moving to west to IDL one day is lost and how moving to east of IDL one day is gained? Example of Russia and Alaska
- Standard time: Indian standard time, Chaibaagan time zone issue
- Exercises – calculation regarding standard time of a place
- Solved UPSC CSAT Prelim Question 1999, 2006, 2008
- Map explanations for Malacca strait, Strait of Florida, Strait of Gibraltar
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/SMPO60DOTKQ
G1/P2: Earth’s Interior, S & P waves, Rock-Cycle, Geological Time-eras
- Origin of the earth, Nebular theory of Laplace
- Speculation about earth’s interior: Heaviest elements are placed at the core and lighter elements are at the surface.
- Interior of the earth: Density study, Temperature study, Direct and indirect evidences
- SIAL and SIMA concepts- Edward Suess
- Seismic wave studies: Propagation of S-Waves and P-Waves
- Layers of earth’s interior: Lithosphere, asthenosphere, mantle, outer core, inner core.
- Composition of interior of the earth and the crust.
- Rocks of the continental crust
- Rock-cycle (Igneous rock, sedimentary, metamorphous)
- Properties of Igneous rocks
- Properties of sedimentary rocks
- Properties of metamorphous rocks
- Prev. years question on rocks
- Geological history of the earth: Super continent –Rodinia, Breaking up of Rodinia
- Formation and breaking of Pangaea
- What are Panthalasa
- Laurasia, Gondwana and Tethys sea
- Breaking up of Gondwana
- Movement of Indian plate
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/DzAH67tsmh8
G1/P3: Continental Drift Theory
- Alfred Wegener and his theory.
- Evidences and Limitations of Continental drift theory
- UPSC 2013 Mains question on this topic
- Drawing maps for India and world in minutes.
- Arthur Holmes: convection current theory
- Driving force behind the continental drift
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/IxpPoVc7y3U
G1/P4: Sea Floor Spreading Theory
- Beginning of Sea-floor spreading theory
- Mapping of Sea-floor in 1950s
- 3 questions raised after sea-floor mapping
- Henry Hass and Dietz – theory
- Mid- oceanic ridge – Mechanism and distribution in the world oceans,
- Trenches – distribution in the world oceans, Mechanism of trenches, the Mariana trench – deepest trench of the world
- UPSC Prelim 2006 q. on trench
- Concept of Palaeo-magnetism, geomagnetism, Vine and Mattheus
Youtube Link: http://youtu.be/BlBg5GVhZ5k