[Geography Lecture] Land Use pattern, Soil Types, Desertification, Erosion, Soil Conversation, Indian AgricultureDevendra Vishwakarma
- G8/P1: Soil profile, erosion, conservation, salinity, desertification
- G8/P2: Soils of India
- G8/P3: Indian Agriculture and industries Part1
- These geography lectures are conducted by Ms. Rajtanil at Sardar Patel institute of Public Administration (SPIPA), Ahmedabad.
- On 23rd March, continuation of the Indian geography segment with soil and agriculture related topics. Total ~2:30 hours but I’ve split it into three parts.
- PowerPoint of the lecture, available at Mrunal.org/Download
- Medium of instruction- Hindi.
- English version not possible for the moment, because faculties are required to teach at this batch, in Hindi/Gujarati only. Besides, same content is available in English in the powerpoints.
G8/P1: Soil profile, erosion, conservation, salinity, desertification
- Recap of previous lecture:
- Soil formation: 5 factors affecting it: rock, climate, relief, biota and time.
- Transportation in soil: capillary and leaching process
- Types of leaching process
- 3 chemical process in soil: capillary action, leaching and gleying
- Soil Profile, Leaching and capillary in horizons
- Soil erosion: meaning, factors responsible and implications.
- Soil conservation techniques: structural and non-structural
- Structural solution for soil conservation: slopes, Stone pitching and wire netting
- Structural solution for soil conservation: coastal areas- Tetra-pods, groyne
- Non-structural solutions for soil conservation: afforestation, slopes, agro-practice reforms, Strip farming, mulching, desert margins – transverse farming
- Soil salinity: reasons, implications.
- Structural solutions to combat soil salinity- washing, underground piping, canals and amendments.
- Non- Structural solution from soil salinity:
- Desertification: meaning, implications and preventive measures.
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/jOIy6g372nQ
G8/P2: Soils of India
- Alluvial soil: properties, area, comparison from east to west.
- Red soil: formation, properties, problem areas, UPSC MCQ.
- Black soil: formation, properties, areas, minerals.
- Lateritic soil: properties, agriculture, bauxite mining, UPSC question
- Mountainous soil: podzolic soil; chelation process
- Desert soil, Mangrove soil, Saline-alkaline soil
- Land use pattern in India: total area under India
- Desired land use pattern: forest, development land, fallow land, pasture land.
- Need for Reduction in net sown area: China vs India.
- Release of net sown area for forest and development purpose
- Gross sown area and Cropping intensity
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/wxM_EFXdeoE
G8/P3: Indian Agriculture and industries Part1
- Introduction to Indian Economic geography
- Importance of agriculture in India, its features, targets
- Agricultural efficiency and productivity, patterns.
- Factors to increase agriculture productivity: nutrition, irrigation, forward linkages
- Agricultural seasons in India
- Major crops of India
- Rice: requirements, cropping techniques, area under cultivation
- Wheat producing areas
- Pulses- types and problems in cultivation, Government schemes.
- Millets, Jawar, Bajra, Ragi, Cotton
- Cotton producing areas
- Textile industries in India: history, Maharashtra, Gujarat, South India, and UPSC prelim questions.
- Sugarcane producing areas, shift in location, South India and UPSC mains question
- Oil-seeds- types, problems in cultivation, Government schemes to promote it.
- Tea plantation and UPSC Mains question.
- Jute- retting, importance in economy
- Spices production, importance of Karnataka and UPSC prelim questions.
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/r2ZR2Czghho
Visit youtube.com/user/TheMrunalPatel For more lectures on UPSC General Studies.