[Essays] September Week4: De-bureaucratizing the executive, Hidden Euthanasia, Gender equalityDevendra Vishwakarma
- Democracy and Bureaucracy
- Bureaucracy, Ethic and accountability
- Rights issue
- Science-tech & environment
Democracy and Bureaucracy
- Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. (Einstein)
- A Constitution always integrates, it never divides. (Modi during Nepal visit).
- Welfareist role of the State has diminished in neo-liberal India.
- Democracy is meant to protect the meekest from the majority.
Bureaucracy, Ethic and accountability
- Better governance cannot be delivered without “de-bureaucratizing” the executive.
- Modern State- a hierarchy of regressively genuflecting coterie of bureaucracy.
- There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law. (Montesquieu)
- Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true. (Honore De Balac)
- Truth, compassion, accountability and transparency- the four pillars of ethics.
- Anonymity can be a shield from the tyranny of the majority. (whistleblower case)
- Discretion- the better part of valor. (Whistleblower case.)
- On a world in search of economic hope, the internet represents the main motor of growth (Google chief Eric Schmidt )
- India needs to invest in “knowledge-based” industry, rather focusing only on agriculture, manufacturing or service sectors.
- Ideas, innovation, investments and implementation: four keys to reinventing the India story.
- Hidden euthanasia of elderly. (Pope Francis used this term for neglect of old parents by their younger generation. He blamed it to greed and throwaway culture. Indian current context- Hema Malini’s comments on Vrindavan Widows).
- If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at, will change. (SC on bringing back the prisoners of war from Pakistan. but can applied in variety of contexts ranging from poverty to security to diplomacy.).
- The gender equality will bring more true and complete version of human being. (Emma Watson speech.)
- “All things are difficult before they become easy.” (- maxim of Sheikh Saadi, quoted by Vice President)
- Education alone has the power to tackle all the world’s problems. (Anand Kumar, IIT Super-30)
- Equal opportunity alone would not bring equality. (Modi on Dalit Icon Ayyankali’s anniversary)
- Indians have spiritual liberty but no social liberty.
Science-tech & environment
- ISRO’s MARS mission- landmark progress in humankind’s exploration of outer space
- The hunger of exploration and the thrill of discovery are not for the faint-hearted. (Modi on ISRO’s MoM)
- Poverty is a major polluter itself. (Javdekar @UN climate summit.)
- Terrorism divides, tourism unites (Modi)
- Security is the first and foremost requirement for development. (home minister)
|Post comment below containing topic and keypoints of your essay.||draft essay in MS word, upload It on google drive. (or write on paper, scan and upload as pdf on google drive) Then comment below this article with two things: