[Essays] January Week2: competitive vs. cooperative federalism, God above all gods, Suicide- a social shameDevendra Vishwakarma
- Democracy, Development
- Society, Culture
- GS4- Ethics
- The simultaneous need of competitive federalism and cooperative federalism. (Modi says both necessary.)
- Humour and freedom of expression: two important markers of a healthy democracy. (Context: protests against PK movie and attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo).
- Rural India is real India.
- The need for an alternative growth model for Indian economy.
- Fruits of investment in good school education are extraordinarily high. (Amartya Sen)
- Scourge of Left Wing Extremism can be tackled only through the twin-pronged strategy of development and deterrence. (Pranab)
- The core civilisational values: Patriotism, Compassion, honesty, tolerance, and duty. (Pranab)
- Socialism: the only alternative to stop the ill-effects of Capitalism. (Sitaram Yechuri)
- Ballot is more powerful than bullet. (PM)
- Gandhi, a person ‘intensely national and yet completely international.
- India-Russia: Times have changed, friendship has not.
- Terrorism: the common challenge for humanity: Ban Ki-moon
- Unity of man is the primary aim of religions. (Swami Vivekanand)
- There is a God above all gods, there is a religion above all religions, and on the basis of that religion the whole world – East and West – should be united. (Swami Vivekanand)
- Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional. (Max Lucade)
- There’s no war that will end all wars.
- How can we make India’s future brighter than our glorious past?
- Suicide: a social shame in a civilised society. (Context: Government’s decision to de-criminalize attempted suicide).
- Is diversity of our country, one of our weakness?
- Shackles of slavery can never be stronger than the quest of freedom (Kailash Satyarthi).
- Only our will, vision and wisdom can stop violence. (Dalai Lama)
- Only the youth can make 21st century as the ‘century of peace’
- Can there be Modernism without rejection of traditional values?
- Life without humour is like a garden without flowers.
- Marriage-an institution of great social relevance. (Karnataka High Court)
- Loss of personal identity in an age of social media.
Comment / elaborate following
- The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in a moral crisis. (Leo Tolstoy)
- Success is the culmination of proper planning, execution, hard work, perseverance and commitment. Substantiate preferably with a personal triumph.
- Only constant learning and relearning can improve efficiency and productivity.
- Only a learned man can overcome the dehumanizing effect of power.
Want to participate?
|Post comment below containing topic and keypoints of your essay.||draft essay in MS word, upload It on Google drive. (or write on paper, scan and upload as pdf on google drive) Then comment below this article with two things:
For earlier lists, visit Mrunal.org/essays.