[Energy] DeenDayal GramJyoti, National LED-Program, Synthetic Gas, Floating Solar plants, Agnisumukh LPGDevendra Vishwakarma
- Deendayal Upadhyaya GramJyoti Yojana
- LED Schemes under Modi-raj
- Theory CFL vs LED vs Bulb lights?
- #1: National Program for LED streetlights & home lights
- #2: DELP: Delhi-wallo LED lelo Yojana
- Floating solar powerplant
- Synthetic Gas & CNR Rao
- Agnisumukh LPG stove
- Direct sale of bio-diesel by manufacturers
- Misc. Developments
- Mock Questions
Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (
|When?||Cabinet cleared the scheme in 2014, November.|
|Not announced yet. Although most likely power ministry- because they implemented Rajiv Gandhi Gramin Vidhutikaran Yojana earlier.|
- Separate agriculture and rural-home electricity supply lines. (separate agriculture and non-agriculture feeders).
- Improve rural electricity infrastructure, setup electricity meters, use ICT enabled smart grids.
- 24 x 7 electricity to all households by 2019.
- And most importantly- to stop Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidhyutikaran Yojana. (because two swords can’t stay in one scabbard.)
- Cost over 40,000 crore rupees.
- State electricity distribution companies will be given contracts but they’ve to finish projects within 2 years.
LED Schemes under Modi-raj
|Purpose||Install LED bulbs as streetlights and homelights|
|Deadline||March 2015 to March 2016.|
|Benefit?||24 crore energy units will be saved.|
|Why in News?||Modi launched in Jan. 2015|
#2: DELP: Delhi-wallo LED lelo Yojana
- Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme” (DELP).
- By Delhi Government, Tata Power, BSES Yamnua etc.
- They provide LED bulb at a cheap price using “on-bill financing model”.
- As such one LED bulb costs ~350-600 rupees in open market.
- But this group purchased bulbs in bulk- hence very cheap for them.
- They’ll sell it to you at Rs.130 per bulb. (Rs.10 upfront, remaining 120 in 12 easy installments of Rs.10 each- in your lightbill.) One customer can get max. 2 LED bulbs.
- To avail this scheme, you’ve to register at eeslindia.org/Delhi-Launch or by sending an SMS to a 7042299688.
- With every bulb, you can save Rs.162 in electricity bill every year. Bulb can run for 3 years.
- Why in News? Modi launched this scheme in January 2015.
Fodder from Modi’s LED speech
- Power can be produced in large quantity by staff of few hundred people.
- But to save that much amount of electricity, we need crores of people to change their lifestyle habits.
- But, It is much more economical to conserve power, than to produce power.
- Must involve celebrities, eminent citizens to create junta-awareness.
- On new year- instead of giving gifts like diaries and calendars- better give LEDs are gifts!
- Same way, Companies could distribute LED bulbs along with dividend payments to their shareholders.
- This Delhi-wallo LED-lelo Yojana should be replicated in other towns with population of 1 lakh and above.
#2: Floating solar powerplant
- W.Bengal: 10KW plant over water, near Rajarhat New Town. (inauguration in Jan 2015)
- Raft fitted with Hollow drums to float on water. Solar cells installed over the raft.
- Funding from Ministry of new and renewable energy.
- Gujarat: solar cells installed above Narmada Canal. Even UN Secretary General Bank Ki Moon liked this idea.
Benefits of floating solar plants?
- Water conservation: because these plants cutoff sunlight from water, thus water evaporation reduced from canals and dam reservoirs.
- During dry-season, hydro-electric output declines from dam. If floating solar panels installed over dam-reservoirs, it can prevent shortfall in electricity output. + no additional manpower required for “chowkidaari”.
- Such solar plants have higher efficiency because relatively cooler temperature in water bodies= higher efficiency of solar cell. 100 sq.meters of floating-solarcells can generate 10MW.
- Shortage of land, and given the stringent norms in erstwhile LARR-2013 act, it was difficult to acquire land anyways!
- NGOs say chemicals from solar cells, will contaminate water.
- Panels obstruct sunlight from water bodies, it may negatively affect the flora-fauna in long term.