[Download] History Mains Question Papers last 33 Years (1979-2011) for UPSC Civil service examDevendra Vishwakarma
To download the PDF File containing all papers, just CLICK ME
Otherwise, If you want to see any individual paper, then just scroll down and keep reading.
1. Mark any fifteen of the following on the map supplied to you and give descriptive notes on, them:
(vii) Fathrpur Sikri
2. Give an appraisal of town planning of the Indus cities and evaluate the various reasons for their
3. Give an account of the Geography of the Vedic texts and describe the social life during the Vedic
4. Discuss the nature of Ashoka’s Dhamma. Was it responsible for the downfall of his empire?
5. Describe the expansion of the Gupta empire under Samudragupta with the help of the Allahabad
6. Discuss the contribution of the Pallavas to South Indian art. Was this art wholly indigenous?
7. Describe the village administration of the Chola period as known from the Uttaramerur inscriptions.
8. Bring out the essential features of the administration of
9. Give an account of the polity and society of Vijayanagara empire under
10. In which respects did the policies of Aurangzeb contribute to the disintegration of the Mughal
11. Examine the economic condition of the rural agricultural classes and of the urban artisans and traders
during the Mughal period.
1. Assess critically the economic impact of the British rule in India till the end of the nineteenth
2. “1858 is the Great Divide in modern Indian history, as the policy, practice and ideals of the
government that followed differed fundamentally from the government of the Company which it
3. Examine the main trends in social reform and social change in India between 1829 and 1929.
4. Discuss the nature, methods and activities of the Terrorist Revolutionary Movement and assess its
place in India’s Freedom Struggle.
5. Analyze the circumstances, between 1942 and 1947, that led to freedom and partition of India.
Section B (Modern World)
6. The period 1500 to 1700 in Europe has been called ‘the heyday of the Commercial Revolution.’
Explain the causes that led to this Revolution & examine its impact on society.
7. What do you understand by Imperialism? How did it affect the people of Asia in the nineteenth
8. What were the ideals of the French Revolution of 1789? How far is it correct to say that it overthrew
mercantilism and the surviving relics of feudalism and contributed to the political supremacy of the
9. Account for the rise of militarism in Japan between the two World Wars. How did it affect the peace
of the world?
10. “Holland was engaged in a systematic exploitation of Indonesia in the nineteenth century.”
11. Discuss the internal problem of China after the First World War and account for the establishment of
Communist rule in the China in 1949.
1. Mark any fifteen of the following on the map supplied to you and give descriptive notes on them:
(xxiv) Purandar Fort
2. Discuss the trade, cultural contacts and the extents of the Indus Civilization within and outside India
and describe in detail any one of the Indus sites within India.
3. Discuss the political pattern and the major religious ideas and rituals of the Vedic age.
4. Critically examine the sources for the study of Mauryan dynasty. How are they useful in
understanding the Mauryan administration?
5. Discuss the ancient Indian contacts with South-East Asia with reference to causes, chronology and
original home of the migrators. What was the impact of these contacts on the art of Kambuja and
6. Examine the development of religion, literature and fine arts under the
7. Give an account of the impact of Islam on Indian culture in respect of society, religion and fine arts.
8. Describe the development of Chola power under Rajaraja and Rajendra I. Form an estimate of their
9. Discuss the patterns of land revenue system developed in Medieval India and examine their
10. Discuss the origin of the Vijayanagara Kingdom. Do you agree with the view that Krishnadevaraya
was an ideal ruler of this dynasty?
11. Trace the development of Maratha power under Shivaji.
Section A (Modern India)
1. “The poverty of the Indian people was the consequence of the Government’s land revenue and
taxation policy!” Discuss this statement with reference to British rule in India in the 19th Century.
2. Critically examine the nature of the Revolt of 1857. How did it affect the British policy in India after
3. Describe briefly the ideals and programme of the Indian National Congress between 1885 and 1905
and assess official response to it.
4. What were the circumstances that led Mahatma Gandhi to start the Non-cooperation Movement?
Examine its contribution to India’s struggle for freedom.
5. Write a brief essay on the peasant movement in India between 1921 and 1947.
Section B (Modern World)
6. Give an account of the revolutionary developments in agriculture in western Europe between 16th
and 18th centuries. How far were they affected by the Commercial Revolution?
7. Explain the main features of the Technological Revolution and discuss its impact on society.
8. Trace the various stages that led to the Unification of Italy between 1848 and 1870.
9. What were the causes for the success of Bolshevik Revolution of 1917? Discuss its significance in
the history of the world.
10. ‘The period 1919 to 1945 is important in the history of Egypt for the explanation of its resources by
Great Britain and rise of strong nationalism’. Discuss.
11. ‘The years 1840 to 1860 confronted the Ching dynasty and the people of China with unprecedented
crises due to imperialist designs of western powers’. Discuss critically.