Discuss some commonly used applications of database system.Ripunjay Tiwari
Ans. Databases are widely used. Here are some representative applications –
- Banking – For customer information, accounts and, loans, and banking transactions.
- Airlines – For reservations and schedule information. Airlines were among the first to use database in a geographically distributed manner – terminals situated around the world accessed the central database system through phone lines and other data networks.
- Universities – For student information, course registrations, and grades.
- Credit Card Transactions – For purchases on credit cards and generating monthly statements.
- Telecommunication – For keeping records of calls made, bills, maintaining balances on prepaid calling cards, and storing information about the communication networks.
- Finance – For storing information about holdings, sales and purchases of financial instruments such as stocks and bonds.
- Sales – For customer, product and purchase information.
- Manufacturing – For management of supply chain and for tracking production of items in factories, inventories of items in warehouses/stores, and orders for items.
- Human Resources – For information about employees, salaries, payroll taxes and benefits, and for generation of paychecks.