[Diplomacy] India and ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF): Meetings & OutcomesDevendra Vishwakarma
- What is ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF)?
- Working of ARF
- What is Track-1 and Track-2 Diplomacy?
- 3-stage Confidence Building process
- ARF Member states
- ARF process is three-tiered
- Four Intersessional meetings of ISMs
- Vision Statement for ARF for 2020
- Hanoi Plan of Action (POA)
- India and ARF:
- Mock Questions for IAS Mains (GS Paper 2)
- Mock Interview Questions for UPSC IAS Exam
What is ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF)?
Working of ARF
- Involves minimal institutionalization,
- The chair of the ARF is rotated annually. The ARF Chairman’s Statement, the organization’s official declaration, is issued after each ARF meeting.
- decision making by consensus,
- use of both “first track” (official) and “second track” (nonofficial) diplomacy.
What is Track-1 and Track-2 Diplomacy?
- first-track diplomatic meetings consist of gatherings of leading officials to discuss security measures,
- Second-track meetings consist of scholars, government individuals not acting in their official capacity, private think tanks, and other individuals and organizations (NGOs).
Role of second-track procedures distinguishes ARF from most other international organizations, which generally treat non-official diplomatic measures as residual and peripheral.
|1||Confidence Building Measures (CBMs)|
|2||development of preventive diplomacy|
|3||Elaboration of approaches to conflicts.|
ASEAN Regional forum Members
|ASEAN Countries (10)||Dialogue Partners (10)||Other nations (7)|
ARF process is three-tiered
Four Intercessional meetings of ISMs
- on counter-terrorism and trans-national crime (CTTC),
- maritime security,
- disaster relief
- non-proliferation and disarmament.
Vision Statement for ARF for 2020
- adopted at the 16th ARF Ministerial held in Phuket, Thailand
- Talks about two things
- ARF is a central pillar in the emerging regional security architecture.
- strengthening ARF’s role in raising awareness on security challenges and intensifying confidence building and cooperation
Hanoi Plan of Action (POA)
Contains policy guidance for how to implement that ^Vision 2020 involving concrete and practical actions in the fields of
- Disaster relief
- maritime security
- non-proliferation and disarmament
India and ARF:
- member of the ARF since 1996.
- Our participation is consistent with our “Look East” policy, and development of closer links with the ASEAN as a full-dialogue partner.
- We’ve co-chaired ARF Inter-sessional Support Group (ARF-ISG) on CBMs and Preventive Diplomacy
- We’ve organized several seminars, workshops and training programmes for ARF Members. For example,
- UN Peacekeeping course @Delhi
- maritime security training course @Chennai
- Anti-piracy training @Mumbai by Coast Guard
- cyber security (don’t know @where).
Mock Questions for IAS Mains (GS Paper 2)
- What is Track 1 and Track 2 diplomacy?
- Write a brief note on ARF
- Discuss the relations between India and ARF
- What is Hanoi Action Plan? (2m)
Mock Interview Questions:
- What do you understand by Confidence Building Measures /CBM (Interview)
- Can you cite any examples of Track-2 diplomacy between Indo-Pak and Indo-China? (Interview)