Daily Word-list from Newspapers (18-01-16)DEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
My dear friends,
In the present competitive scenario English plays a very important role in our day to day life. Thus it is essential to have a sound knowledge and understanding of English vocabulary. So here we are presenting you a list of 10 difficult words from today’s newspapers. This will help you to sail and score good marks in English Language section. We will provide Daily Word List on a regular basis.
Here is today’s list of words
1. Unscrupulous – adjective – Dishonest or unfair – अनैतिक
Synonyms – dishonest, corrupt
Antonyms – moral, ethical
E.g. – The unscrupulous employer not only cut his worker’s pay, but also did not grant him a medical leave.
2. Malaise – noun – A feeling of unease – बेचैनी
Synonyms – discomfort, uneasiness
Antonyms – bliss, ecstasy
E.g. – During the 1930s, the resulting decrease in birthrates was closely linked to the economic malaise brought about by the Great Depression.
3. Excruciating – adjective – Very painful – अति दुखदाई
Synonyms – distressing, agonizing
Antonyms – bearable, endurable
E.g. – His leg injury caused him an excruciating pain.
4. Equity – Noun – Equality/ a stock or any other security representing ownership – समान हिस्सा
Synonyms – fairness, justice
Antonyms – inequity, unfairness
E.g. – There is no equity in the government’s tax cuts; only the rich benefit.
5. Beguile – verb– to attract or interest someone – खुशी से समय बिताना
Synonyms – fool, trick
Antonyms – repel, turn off
E.g. – The car salesman tried to beguile the customer with an offer of free gas for a year.
6. Pernicious – adjective – To have a harmful effect – हानिकर
Synonyms – harmful, deleterious
Antonyms – harmless, healthy
E.g. – The pernicious influences of vote bank politics are leading to country’s downfall.
7. Abash – verb– Make ashamed, to embarrass – शर्मिंदा करना
Synonyms – embarrass, disconcert
Antonyms – brave, refresh
E.g. – I warn him, in a tone which ought to abash him, but doesn’t in the least.
8. Garrulous – adjective – Talkative, chatty – बातूनी
Synonyms – verbose, voluble
Antonyms –concise, mute
E.g. – Tom is gregarious and garrulous. He loves to hang out with the gang and gab.
9. Abate – verb – To reduce – रोक-थाम करना
Synonyms – diminish, lessen
Antonyms – intensify, increase
E.g. – The small boys on the bench had hadleisure to abate their ardour by this time.
10. Decimate – verb – To kill or destroy a large part of – बरबाद करना
Synonyms – annihilate, eradicate
Antonyms –construct, assemble
E.g. – When locusts attack a crop, they sometimes decimate it, leaving very little that’s fit for human consumption.