Daily Word-list from Newspapers (06-04-16)DEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
My dear friends,
In the present competitive scenario English plays a very important role in our day to day life. Thus it is essential to have a sound knowledge and understanding of English vocabulary. So here we are presenting you a list of 10 difficult words from today’s newspapers. This will help you to sail and score good marks in English Language section. We will provide Daily Word List on a regular basis.
Here is today’s list of words
1. Compliance – noun – the act of obeying rules – अनुपालन
Synonyms – obedience, submission
Antonyms – nonconformity, defiance
E.g. – Police officers should use their weapons sparingly and then only to obtain compliancefrom unruly suspects or inmates.
2. Haughty – adjective – proud and unfriendly – घमंडी
Synonyms – arrogant, conceited
Antonyms – humble, modest
E.g. – In order to be a great waitress, you should be humble and not haughty.
3. Cryptic – adjective – difficult to understand – गुप्त
Synonyms – unclear, incomprehensible
Antonyms – straightforward, definite
E.g. – For security purposes, the official’s plans are always written in a cryptic language.
4. Taut – adjective – stressed to the point of being nervous – सख्त
Synonyms – stressed, strained
Antonyms – relaxed
E.g. – The pressure of teaching a class for the first time made me so taut that my hands began to shake.
5. Chary – adjective – apprehensive about doing something – सावधान
Synonyms – wary, circumspect
Antonyms – careless, heedless
E.g. – School districts are incredibly chary about hiring people with criminal backgrounds.
6. Tug – verb – to pull or drag with great effort – झटके से खींच लेना
Synonyms – pull, jerk
Antonyms – push
E.g. – A quick tug on my arm from my mom saved me from getting hit by a bus.
7. Circa – adjective – around or about a certain date – लगभग
Synonyms – roughly, approximately
Antonyms – explicitly
E.g. – The archaeologist believes the artifact dates back to circa 2000 BC.
Top of Form
8. Parasitical – adjective – of, pertaining to, or having the characteristics of a parasite –परजीवी
Synonyms – parasitic, bloodsucking
Antonyms – independent
E.g. – Parasitical companies lock onto government aid, sucking up all the resources.
9. Sublimate – verb – to change an objectionable expression into one that is acceptable –परिशोधन करना
Synonyms – distill, purify
E.g. – Jack learned to sublimate his anger by taking boxing lessons.
10. Vertigo – noun – the feeling of spinning and being lopsided – चक्कर आना
Synonyms – dizziness, giddiness
Antonyms – stability