How to Approach English Section in SBI Clerk Mains 2016 Exam?DEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
The SBI Clerk Mains 2016 Exam is going to be held on 25th & 26th June 2016. This phase of the SBI Clerk 2016 Exam is divided into four different sections, Reasoning and Computer Aptitude, English Language, Quantitative Aptitude and General Awareness and the time duration given for this examination is 1 hour. The exam pattern and syllabus has also been updated.
Here we are sharing some tricks to enhance your score in English Language section, in the SBI Clerk Mains 2016 Exam. This section carries a total of 40 marks.
The English section can be divided into two parts:
- Common Errors
- Sentence Correction/Improvement
- Cloze Test
- Sentence Rearrangement
- Double Fillers
- Reading Comprehension
1. Cloze Test –
- It’s options may appears bit confusing but ones you are familiar with the ideas of the passage you can eliminate the odd one out.
- Read the passage and go with the flow of the sentence to get the message behind the passage.
- If there is any doubt it’s better to skip that question rather than attempting it to satisfy your ego.
- Regular Practice is the key to solve cloze test with maximum accuracy.
2. Sentence Rearrangement/ Para Jumbles –
- Read complete passage properly to find out the theme of the passage
- Find out the Independent sentence, it’ll give you the lead (most of the time it’s 1stsentence)
- Find out the connecting sentences ( looking carefully for the repetition of noun with pronoun)
- Identify the pair while looking for some cause, effect, problem then its solution.
- At last, find the message, result and conclusion mainly representing the purpose of the passage. (special words – thus, therefore, hence, however, so etc.)
3. Double Fillers –
- Read the whole sentence to get the message and go with the flow.
- Go with the second part first to get the proper sequence or meaning of the sentence while keeping the grammar rules in mind (especially tense.)
- Think of the logic behind the option, you can also go with Odd one out strategy.
- Accuracy is the key, so better be sure before marking your answer.
4. Reading Comprehension –
- It is expected that RC passage will be based on Socio-economic issue comes in RC. So to handle either one must regularly read newspapers.
- Don’t spend much time on single question.
- Skip those questions which ask you to find out the correct or incorrect from the passage or have multiple options to look for.
- Keeping time factor in mind, it’s better to attempt only Antonyms and Synonyms.
5. Sentence Correction –
- Read the original sentence carefully and try to spot grammatical errors by identifying whether something “sounds” wrong.
- Always look at every choice.
- Even when the original sentence seems fine, pay attention to the grammar that it tests and look through the choices systematically to see if any provides a better option.
- As you locate each error, eliminate all of the choices that contain that error.
- Do not read each answer choice back into the sentence individually; that wastes time and invites inaccuracy.
- Instead, identify the differences among the choices and eliminate those that offer less effective or grammatically incorrect alternatives.
6. Spotting Error –
- In order to solve questions on spotting errors, the first step you should take is to read the complete sentence carefully. In most of the cases, you will be able to detect the error in the first go itself.
- While reading the entire sentence, you must carefully check the subject-verb agreement.
- If you can still not detect the error or you are still unsure of the correct answer, then you must read each individual part of the sentence and closely examine which part consists of an error.
Expected Topic wise Questions
- Reading Comprehension –10 Questions
- Cloze Test – 10 Questions
- Para-jumbles – 5 Questions
- Spotting Error – 5 Questions
- Fill in the blanks – 5 Questions
- Sentence Correction – 5 Questions
Now lets come to strategies for attempting English section
1) Always start answering with small questions like spotting errors, fillers, sentence rearrangement etc. and keep the comprehension for last as its time consuming.
2) No one can answer all the questions in English with hundred percent accuracy so attempt only those questions which you are sure about instead of making wild guesses.
3) Most of us are weak in vocabulary so don’t worry much about it, because there will be hardly 2-4 questions of that kind. You can even skip those questions.
4) While attempting fillers with two blank, there will be one blank which will be easy to identify and you can relate the second one accordingly.
5) Sometimes we face problem with sentence rearrangement also, so it’s better to identify the first and last sentence first and then arrange the remaining if you can.
6) For comprehension, go through the passage and questions simultaneously. This will help you in answering the question quickly without wasting time.