Daily Word-list from Newspapers (17-02-16)DEVENDRA VISHWAKARMA
My dear friends,
In the present competitive scenario English plays a very important role in our day to day life. Thus it is essential to have a sound knowledge and understanding of English vocabulary. So here we are presenting you a list of 10 difficult words from today’s newspapers. This will help you to sail and score good marks in English Language section. We will provide Daily Word List on a regular basis.
Here is today’s list of words
1. Cachinnation – adjective – loud laughter – अट्टहास
Synonyms – convulsive, giggle
E.g. – Debra has a sense of humor that is so hilarious that it always leaves people doubled over in cachinnation.
2. Smolder – verb – to have strong restrained feelings – सुलगना
Synonyms – smoke, fume
Antonyms – freeze, frost
E.g. – After we extinguished the bonfire, it continued to smolder for a long time.
3. Sneer – verb – to speak or smile in an unkind way – उपहास करना
Synonyms –ridicule, jeer
Antonyms – praise, grin
E.g. – There is no way you will get the job if you sit at the interview with a sneer on your face.
4. Eschew – verb – to avoid something which you do not think is right or proper – दूर रहना
Synonyms – avoid, shun
Antonyms – embrace, accept
E.g. – I eschew smoking because I know it is dangerous to my health.
5. Foible – noun – a minor flaw or shortcoming in character or behavior – छोटी चारित्रिकदुर्बलतायें
Synonyms – fault, defect
Antonyms –advantage, strong point
E.g. In the book, the hero’s greed was the foible that caused his downfall.
6. Fictitious – adjective – not real; made up – काल्पनिक
Synonyms – imaginary, false
Antonyms – true, actual
E.g. – We were duped by the new employee’s supposed credentials, which we later learned were entirely fictitious.
7. Unkempt – adjective – not clean or tidy – गन्दा
Synonyms – messy, sloppy
Antonyms – neat, tidy
E.g. – Excessive littering has turned this once clean soccer park into an unkempt field.
8. Supine – adjective – lying face upward – उत्तान
Synonyms – listless, flat
Antonyms – active, erect
E.g. – I was surprised when the psychiatrist did not ask me to lie supine on his couch.
9. Potent – adjective – very strong in a chemical or medicinal way – शक्तिशाली
Synonyms – powerful, strong
Antonyms – weak, helpless
E.g. – The potent poison killed him within seconds.
10. Importune – verb – to request (someone) pressingly and persistently for or to do something – हठ करना
Synonyms –beg, press
Antonyms – command, dissuade
E.g. – Most politicians importune voters for money as well as support.